Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Author Crystal Brown-Tatum

More From Crystal Brown-Tatum
"Sharing some good news on Father's Day! I just confirmed my first breast cancer awareness speaking engagement for October [2015] with Dillard's Department Stores!" 


Father's Day 2015 Message from Crystal Brown-Tatum


 Welcome to another week of FB Diva Friday Chronicles. This week's guest is the super talented Author Crystal Brown-Tatum. 

Chronicles:  Hello Crystal. It truly is a blessing to have you visiting this week. Many know who you are, but please share a brief bio for those who may not be familiar with you or your work. 

Crystal: I am a San Antonio, Texas native. My father retired from Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio. I attended The University of Houston on a military academic scholarship and graduated from The Honors College with a BA in Radio-Television. I have completed post graduate studies at UH in Public Relations. 


I worked in Houston in radio, television and print media before deciding on marketing and PR as a career path. Every time I would take strengths finder exam, my top strengths were woo and communication so I decided to utilize my strengths. I dabbled in banking briefly and held a Group One insurance license and a Series 7 and 63 brokerage license at one time. I am married to Sergeant First Class Philip Tatum and have one adult daughter (21). 

Chronicles: You're a super talented lady who has used her capacity to influence others (WOO) and communication skills as a springboard for involvement with many projects and activities. Please share the ventures of which you are most active right now and any links that readers can access those activities. 

Crystal: Currently, I am on the Board of Directors for

Gridiron Heroes link
Gridiron Heroes Spinal Cord Injury Foundation. The organization is dedicated to helping young men and their families recover from a catastrophic football injury at the intermediate and high school level. My Father sustained a catastrophic spinal cord injury when I was 16 years old as an the result of an accidental shooting so this is an area that is near and dear to my heart.  At times, it is emotionally painful to revisit that injury but when you meet these brave young men, it lifts my spirit and inspires me



As a breast cancer survivor and advocate, I am a regional ambassador with PCORI(Patient Centered Outcomes
Sisters Network link
Research Institute) and supporter of Sisters Network Inc. There are many other breast cancer charities that I support through monetary donations or time but Sisters Network is my preferred choice because they provided tangible support to myself and other women that I know.    


GEMS Mentor Success Story link
Lastly, I always make myself available to speak to programs that impact the lives of inner-city youth. I mentor several young women and share my troubled past to encourage today's youth.  

Chronicles: Crystal, your involvement with so many meaningful causes certainly is impressive. In what ways have your capacity for involved empathy been aided by the depths of your life's challenges and personal resiliency?

Crystal: My empathy and compassion for others stems from knowing all too well what it is like to be in their shoes. I give freely not because I have so much to give but rather, I know what it is like to need.

Chronicles: Now I know that you're also the Founder and CEO of Crystal Clear Communications and you've authored several books as well. Please share with the readers about those ventures. 

Crystal: Crystal Clear Communications is an award-winning public relations firm founded in 2001. Over the years, we have worked with small to medium enterprise as well as Fortune 500 in their marketing and PR initiatives with an emphasis on retail channel marketing, political lobbying and campaign management and cultural outreach. 

When I couldn't readily locate a breast cancer book written by a young Black woman, I detailed my treatment  journey in a memoir "Saltwater Taffy and Red High Heels: My Journey through Breast Cancer." It is available at www.lulu.com as well as Barnes and Noble.  I have written several other books but I don't actively promote those because they were written out of a very angry space and I'm not that person anymore. While I enjoy entertaining readers, I feel that my true purpose is to enlighten and encourage.

Chronicles:  I am sure that many readers, like myself, have been enlightened and encouraged by your story shared today Crystal.  Now, Chronicles uses the acronym "Diva" which stands for Divinely Inspired, Victoriously Ascending, and each week guest are asked share what do those phrases mean to them; I'll ask you the same.   

Crystal: To be Divinely Inspired is to find inspiration in things that can only be felt with the heart. Ordinary people overcoming extraordinary circumstances can be our greatest inspiration if we believe that God has a purpose for every struggle.



Victoriously Ascending means constantly reaching new heights by pushing yourself to be better and to do better. You may not be where you want to be anytime soon but if you are taking the right steps, you can't help but to be lifted.



Chronicles:  Inspirational elaboration for sure and certainly in keeping with the Diva Pursuit of Excellence. 

I'd like to thank this very exceptional guest, Author and Entrepreneur, the amazing Crystal Brown-Tatum for visiting with Chronicles this week.


Remember that Chronicles is always looking for new guest to feature, so whether you have a song or a story, please drop a line and express your desire to participate as a guest interviewee. 


Until next week, remember:  

Divinely Inspired, Victoriously Ascending...Diva!  


 





                                                            
                                                    Paul S. Jones FB Diva Chronicles (c) All Rights Reserved 2014-15





No comments:

Post a Comment