Thursday, April 23, 2015

Actress and Comedian Jenny L. Saldaña

This week Chronicles is pleased to welcome Actress and Comedian Jenny Saldaña. 

Hello Jenny, thanks for joining us this week and it's certainly an honor to have your participation. Please give a brief synopsis of your bio and historical profile? 

Jenny: I'm Dominican born came here when I was 6 years old. Grew up in Washington Heights then went to High School in Miami. I have a theater degree from the University of Pittsburgh. 
I'm the older of two daughters and my name is JUST Jenny, not Jenniffer, that's my sister's name.  Seriously. We're the Dominican George Foreman's.  I've written 3 plays and have won awards for two; the first was my first play called "Dancing In The Mirror". The second award was for my play about breast cancer called "PINK: The Chronicles of BC Jenny". 

 Chronicles: Could you give us an overview of your three plays? 

Jenny: The first play I wrote was "Dancing in the Mirror". It was a collection of monologues modeled after John Leguizamo's "Mambo Mouth". It was about the soundtracks of the lives of 5 very different women. It won first place at the International Latino Playwright's festival in Fort Worth. 

My second play was "PINK: The Chronicles of BC Jenny." It was about my cancer journey and it won 3rd place in the Met Life Nuestras Voces Playwriting Competition. 

My third play, "Please Hold" was about a call center that handled different types of calls. I worked in a call center for many year and it was very easy to write. 

Chronicles:  You've been doing stand up comedy, how did that come about? 

image2.JPG
Jenny:  I've always been connected to comedy. All of my plays are comedies and since I'm an actor I've always been comfortable on stage so stand up was a very natural transition for me and I LOVE it. 

Chronicles: You've been in California recently, how was that gig? And what other places have you performed?

Jenny:  I was in LA for all of February trying to avoid the cold and succeeded except I got back in town for what i hope was the last snow of the season. While in LA, I performed at The Comedy Store, Ha Ha Comedy Cafe, Inside Jokes, The Ice House, Universal Studios and many small bar/venues. I love going out to LA for comedy. 


Chronicles: Man, that's very impressive Jenny. And you were in the movie "The Dictator" as well, correct? How was that experience and do you have any more movie projects afloat?

Jenny:  "The Dictator" was awesome; it was my first starring role and even though after editing I looked like an extra, it was a wonderful experience and I look forward to more movie work. There isn't anything coming up at the moment. 

Chronicles:  I've seen some really cool promotional videos of your cancer awareness activities. What other activities are you involved with in that regard? 

eJenny: I try to give my time to as many cancer awareness events as possible. I've even rappelled a 40 story building for cancer. I won't be doing that again. Haha!!!

Chronicles: I've seen you doing daily photos on your social networking platforms; what is that about?

Jenny:  I'm doing what I call "No Repeat 30" where I don't repeat any article of clothing (not counting outer wear or shoes) for 30 days. I once heard that we wear 20% of  our clothes, 80% of the time and I know I have a ton of clothes, so I thought this would be a good challenge so I can get rid of things I don't use. 

Chronicles:  Do you have any videos or recordings for sale, if so, how can readers support your work?

Displaying image3.JPGJenny:  I don't have any videos and I don't publicly post my performances so if you want to see, you've got to  come out to a show!! Most of my show dates are listed on my website: jennysaldana.com

Chronicles:  Thanks Jenny; Chronicles uses the acronym Diva(Divinely Inspired, Victoriously Ascending) and each week guest are asked to share what the phrases Divinely Inspired and Victoriously Ascending mean to them. Care to share? 

image5.JPGJenny:  Divinely Inspired means my inspiration comes from a higher place and therefore divine. Victoriously Ascending is Rising never falling and never looking back.

Chronicles:  Fantastic Jenny; much thanks to special guest Jenny Saldaña for visiting with FB Diva Friday Chronicles, she's been an exceptional interview.  Readers will want to followup and learn more about this super talented actress and courageous "survivor" whose story is one of resilience and inspiration. Check out her live shows when she's in your area and you're sure to be entertained.

To the regular readers, I want to thank you all for supporting Chronicles and there has been a consistent increase in visitors with each successive interview.  If you'd like to be a featured guest, just contact me on Facebook and we'll get the process moving.  Thanks, again and see you next week, until then: 

Divinely Inspired, Victoriously Ascending...Diva!!! 








                                               

                                                         Paul S. Jones FB Diva Chronicles (c) All Rights Reserved 2014-15








No comments:

Post a Comment